Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Good AND Green?

For the past several years, Lake Street Church of Evanston has participated in Heartland Alliance's Adopt-A-Family program during the holiday season. This year, the Peace and Justice Committee (which coordinates the congregation's involvement in the program) decided to adopt TWO families. This was a very ambitious undertaking, as Heartland Alliance selected two families of five persons each. They provided us with the names, ages, needs and wishes of our adopted family members. We decided to split the congregation in half alphabetically into the "Green Team" and "Red Team". Each team is responsible for gifts for one family. The "Green" family consists of a single mother and her four small children. The "Red" family consists of a mother and father and their three teenage children. The friendly competition within the congregation spurred us forward and we have obtained almost all of the gifts for both families. But we are still missing winter outerwear for the mother, father, and daughter of the "red" family, along with clothes for one of the boys, and a comforter for the parents. Everything must be purchased new, of course.

This is all really wonderful, but it isn't very green. It is both fiscally and environmentally irresponsible to go out and buy new items when slightly used ones would cost less, keep waste out of landfills, and lower emissions of greenhouse gases into the environment. Another greener option would be to purchase from local, sustainable sources. Unfortunately, this would cost more (at least to the buyer), because of the economy of scale and externalizing of costs by big box retailers. :-(

So, what to do? Since we can't give them used items, we could give them gift cards that could be used at second hand stores (ie, non retailer-specific cards), and they could purchase those items cheaply themselves. Another option would be to suck it up and purchase items that are more expensive in the short run, but much less costly in terms of environmental impact. Finally, we can work to change/enforce laws such that environmental, health, and other costs are internalized. Then we will all realize that it isn't "cheap" to buy petroleum-based products produced by child labor in rapidly developing nations.

1 comment:

  1. Since the deadline for completing shopping for the Heartland Alliance gifts was fast approaching, I ran out this afternoon to purchase the gifts I had signed up for. First, a space heater from Home Depot, then a gift card from Wal-Mart, and last, but not least a pair of boots for a 14-year-old girl at DSW Shoe Warehouse. I figured the gift certificate would go a long way--maybe help the family buy several pairs of jeans.

    The first two purchases were non-eventful. The last purchase was not.

    I found a nice pair of winter boots, size 6 and a half as requested. They were made of black suede and had artificial fur lining the tops. They had really nice cushioned inner soles. They were on sale. 30% off. I got to the cashier and he began to ply me with coupons. I explained that I would probably forgot about them and find them after they had expired. He said, "We take expired coupons." I said they would just clutter up an already messy house, but he persisted. Finally I said, "I don't normally shop here. This is a gift for a family signed up with the Heartland Alliance." He had finally finished ringing up the boots, waterproofing spray, and little brush that I had picked out for the suede boots. He handed me the items and gift receipts, and I said, "This will make some little girl really happy." Then I started to cry. I had a really hard time keeping it together on the way out of the store. Once I was in the car, I let 'er rip.

    I never had to rely on handouts for Christmas. My parents didn't earn very much, but we always had everything we needed and there were always gifts under the tree for my three brothers and me. Of course, my favorite recollection is inheriting both Mike and Tom's blue corduroy shirts that Mother made after my own shirt wore out.

    As I drove home, I started to think about all the advantages I had growing up. My mother worked at Indiana University, so my tuition was only $375 a semester. That just boggles my mind when I hear what tuition costs these days. My parents footed the bills for my undergraduate degree. For graduate school, I was awarded a NIOSH traineeship and lived on $325/month in Chicago and actually saved money. I took out a student loan at 3% interest just before I finished my masters degree and bought a Toyota Corolla for $5,000 with it. I paid the loan off on time.

    I could go on for a while, but the bottom line is, I have been very privileged. Buying a new pair of boots for a young child whose family can't afford them is the least I could do.

    Lucy Elam

    ReplyDelete